Common Core Writing Standards
I can write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences. I...
- Engage and orient the reader by establishing a context and introducing a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally and logistically.
- Use narrative techniques, such as dialogue, pacing, and description, to develop experiences, events, and/or characters.
- Use a variety of transition words, phrases, and clauses to convey sequence and signal shifts from one time frame or setting to another.
- Use precise words and phrases, relevant descriptive details, and sensory language to convey experiences and events.
- Provide a conclusion that follows from the narrated experiences or events.
I demonstrate a good grasp of standard writing conventions (e.g., spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar and usage, paragraphing) and use conventions effectively to enhance readability.