Monroe School District currently contracts bus transportation services with JPI Transportation, Inc. for our elementary students and high school students to St Johnsbury Academy. JPI Transportation, Inc. is local company based out of Monroe, NH. Due to COVID-19 protocols requiring assigned, spaced seating you need to contact JPI with any changes to bus arrangements for your student. JPI staff can be reached at 638-9341.
From the Reopening Plan
Health and Safety:
Our shared goal of mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in our school community will require that parents and staff members take daily action steps as outlined below.
Parents are encouraged to drive their child/ren to school in order to aid in physical distancing on the school bus.
If necessary, separate windows of time will be established for bus drop-off/pick-up and parent/carpool drop-off/pick-up in order to avoid crowding.
Students and the bus driver will be required to wear a face mask. Disposable masks will be provided upon boarding.
Students will be assigned a seat, and when applicable, sit with siblings.
Buses will be sanitized after all changes in cohorts, using enhanced cleaning procedures.
Mask Offense Protocol
1st Mask incident = one week (five school days) off the bus
2nd Mask incident = two weeks (ten school days) off the bus
3rd Mask incident = Hearing with the School Board and Bus Company
School Bus Rules:
1. Pupil shall follow the directions of the drive the first time given.
2. Pupil shall arrive at the bus stop at least five (5) minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
3. Pupil shall wait in a safe place, at least 10 feet away from where the bus stops, clear of traffic until the bus stops, the door is open, red flashing lights are on, and the driver has directed you to proceed.
4. Pupil shall wait in an orderly line and avoid horseplay.
5. Pupil shall cross the road or street in front of the bus only after the bus has come to a complete stop and upon direction of the driver (10-foot minimum crossing distance).
6. Pupil shall go directly to an available or assigned set when entering the bus and move in toward the window.
7. Pupil shall remain seated until they have reached their designated stop and the bus has come to a complete stop. Aisles and exits must be kept clear at all times and emergency door will be used for emergencies only.
8. Everyone shall observe classroom conduct and obey the driver promptly and respectfully. The driver is in complete charge of the bus and his/her decisions and requests must be followed.
9. Pupil shall refrain from throwing or passing objects on, from or into buses.
10. Pupil is permitted to carry only objects that can be held on his/her lap.
11. Pupil shall refrain from the use of profane language, obscene gestures, excessive noise, fighting, wrestling or acts of physical aggression on the bus.
12. Pupils are prohibited from using tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or any controlled substance. The police will be notified whenever a student is involved with the possession and/or use of alcohol, drugs, or any illegal substances.
13. Pupil shall refrain from eating and drinking on the bus.
14. Pupil shall not carry hazardous material, nuisance items and animals on to the bus.
15. Pupil shall respect the rights and safety of others.
16. Pupil shall refrain from leaving or boarding the bus at locations other than assigned stops at home or school. Students may only ride the bus that they have been assigned. (Exceptions will only be made with a note from a principal.)
17. Pupil is prohibited from extending head, arms or objects out of the bus windows. Students will not be allowed to lower windows without permission of the driver.
18. Pupil is prohibited from hitching rides via bumper or other parts of the bus.
19. Students/Parents will be held responsible for any and all damages to the bus perpetrated by the student.
20. No electronics to be used on the bus unless specific permission is granted by driver.
School Bus Discipline Procedure (follow COVID-19 protocol first:)
School bus rules will be posted at the front of each bus in visible view of the students.
Students who are in violation of these rules, will be written up by their driver on a student discipline slip as a warning, for their first infraction. A copy of the discipline slip will be given to the student for the parent to review, a copy will be given to the school, and a copy will be kept in the bus contractor's office in the school’s discipline file.
Students who are written up on a discipline slip for a second infraction will be suspended from the bus for 2 to 3 days depending on the infraction.
Students who have been written up on discipline slips for three infractions, especially for the same infraction committed three times, will receive a one week suspension from the bus.
Students who habitually break the school bus rules or pose a real or imagined physical threat to themselves or others, have brought weapons aboard the bus, repeatedly vandalize the bus, or in any other way cause the safety of everyone on the bus to be jeopardized, will have their bus riding privileges revoked immediately at the end of the bus run pending a meeting with the school administration, parents, bus contractor, and the driver. The school administrator will notify the parents of such an occurrence.
If a student continues to pose a serious threat to the safety of everyone aboard the bus after meeting with the parent and school administrator has taken place, the student may be removed from the bus for the remainder of the school year. Should it be deemed by the bus contractor, in conjunction with the school administrator that this action be taken, parents can request a hearing with the school board in regards to the removal of their student from the bus.